We’ve all been flumoxed with the demand of a blank page waiting for our words to flow. Inexperienced writers throw up their hands. Here are some prompts to help get the creative wheels turning. on a topic, subject or object:
- Describe it: color, shape, age, dimensions, materials of construction, origin, parts.
- Compare the subject to something else. What is it similar to or different from?
- Associate the subject with other things: What else does it make you think of? What connections does it have to anything else?
- Analyze the subject. How is it made? Where did come from? Where is it going? How are its parts related?
- Apply the subject. What can be done with it? What uses does it have?
- Argue for or against the subject, or choose a position in relation to the subject and defend it.